This is a deeply unsettling experience and we are here to support you and direct you to resources in order to find justice. Please call us at 780-425-4644. Someone is usually in the office Monday to Friday between 9 am and 5 pm. We are able to take note of your complaint as well as follow up with you. These resources and organizations are available to support you in this process:
- Alberta Human Rights Commission: “The Commission has a two-fold mandate: to foster equality and to reduce discrimination. It fulfills this mandate through public education and community initiatives, through the resolution and settlement of complaints of discrimination, and through human rights tribunal and court hearings.”
- Edmonton Police Service Hate Crimes Unit: “If it is not a crime in progress, contact the Edmonton Police Service complaint line at 780-423-4567. Please make sure that the investigating officer understands that you perceive the crime as being motivated by hatred. The investigation will make its way to the Hate Crimes Office for file review and follow up.”
- Stop Hate AB: “According to the Canadian Criminal Code, a HATE CRIME is defined as a crime motivated by hate, based on race, national or ethnic origin, language, colour, religion, sex, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, or any other similar factor…A hate incident is a non-criminal action committed against a person or property, the motive for which is based in whole or in part upon the same characteristics mentioned above. Because they are non-criminal in nature, police are limited in their ability to be involved. Hate incidents often go undocumented. The #STOPHATEAB website provides a place where these incidents can be captured. By making this information accessible, communities can be greater aware and informed about the impact of hate on communities in Alberta.”
- Law Central Alberta: A number of resources for self-representation and general legal information for Indigenous peoples, Immigrants and Refugees, People with Disabilities, folks within the LGBTQ2S+ umbrella, and the intersections therein.
- Hate Free YEG: An organization within Edmonton promoting anti-racism and hate free initiatives throughout the city. Includes a list of various businesses and organizations committed to stopping racism in Edmonton.