Job Posting – Indigenous Education Specialist
Position: One year contract
Salary: $29–$32 per hour
Hours: Average at 25 hours per week, a hybrid working method between working in the office (Edmonton) and remotely can be arranged
Applications Deadline: June 4, 2021
Start Date: As soon as a suitable candidate is found
End Date: One year from the start date. The extension of this contract is based on performance evaluation and availability of funds.
The Centre for Race and Culture (CFRAC) promotes and supports individual, collective, and systemic change to address racism and discrimination and encourage intercultural understanding. Our expertise spans workplace development, community building, research, and education.
We are seeking applications from individuals with lived Indigenous experiences and are working towards supporting inter-cultural understanding and inclusive practices. Under the direction of the Executive Director, the incumbent will be accountable for designing and facilitating indigenous awareness training content and taking an active role in community engagement activities on behalf of CFRAC.
Key Responsibilities include training development & facilitation, community engagement and project evaluation.
- Develop training/curriculum for the identified workshop topics
- Host virtual or in-person community sessions and/or workshops to raise awareness of the indigenous community history, culture, norms, and current social challenges
- Maintain and cultivate relationships and engagement activities with agencies, local organizations, and Indigenous communities
- Take the initiatives to conduct regular meetings and liaison with partners and other stakeholders
- Develop project logic model and evaluation plans
- Set project scope, priorities, deadlines, and deliverable schedules
- Maintain confidentiality and privacy of information collection, retention, usage, and distribution
- And perform other related duties as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant discipline, preferably in Adult Education, Native Studies, etc.
- Two (2) to three (3) years of relevant experience, including curriculum design and development, facilitating workshops both in-person and virtually
- Must have a deep understanding of issues, risks, and opportunities associated with Indigenous communities, cultures, customs, and beliefs, understanding of current and emerging issues of importance to Indigenous people and communities
- Knowledge of Indigenous language(s) is a definite asset
- Understanding of the principles of equity, inclusion, and anti-racism
- Is highly motivated with exceptional relationship building and advocacy skills
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, including strong public speaking abilities
- Strong project coordination, management, and evaluation skills
- Solid critical thinking and planning skills; some research experience will be an asset
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel) and virtual technologies
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
Additionally, the ideal candidate will possess these Behavioural Competencies
- Communication – the ability to understand others and to respond in an appropriate and respectful manner
- Openness to intercultural learning
- Self-awareness – the ability to understand oneself and the impact that one’s perceptions and attitudes have on others
- Focus on outcomes and plan/drive for results
- Agility – function as a role model of how to effectively work through change and how to adapt your approach, even in times of uncertainty
Application submission details:
Your application will be assessed based on how strongly your identified qualifications meet the criteria in the job advertisement. The successful candidate will be required to provide references and undergo a satisfactory criminal record check before the commencement of employment.
If you meet the qualifications and are passionate about working towards an inclusive society free of racism, then we welcome you to send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Indigenous Education Specialist” in the subject line. BadaB Consulting Inc. is our contracted HR service provider.
Only those qualifying for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for your interest in the position.